Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Another year...

As I near 39, and enter my final 12 months before I turn 40, I realize I still don't know so much about life.

Chronic over-thinker that I am... I have watched the inauguration of President Obama and wonder... What makes us stop striving to be more? Obama is in his 40's and has been a community activitist, President of the Harvard Law Review, an Attorney, a teacher, a State Legislator and a Senator.. now he is President.

When do we reach the threshold where we say... "OK, this is good enough. I am ok from here forward. I am happy being a (insert career here) and am satisfied with my impact on the world. "?

Is there some lesson learned earlier in life that convinces us we have a target for our lives? Parents, Teachers, theFriends We Keep?

What makes one man become an architect of grand structures, or a surgeon saving lives, while most of us are content with being a mid-level computer programmer or a retail store manager?

Is it fear of responsibility... TRUE responsibility? Is it a lack of belief in ourselves and our ability to meet those responsibilities?

Maybe it's just contentment with achieving a level of financial "success" where we can buy the trappings of consumerism and endenture ourselves to banks and corporations, but believing we really don't deserve to have much more?

I wish I knew the answer... maybe a few more glasses of wine, an Advil for this headache and a good night's sleep will give me new perspective tomorrow.

G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment